Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Lions, Tigers & Bears- Oh My!

I talked to my neighbor yesterday - she called with alarming news. We have a mountain lion in our neighborhood. Wow, that's hard to imagine. It's not like I live in Colorado or Wyoming. This is Missouri, you know, the Midwest , with homes and farms everywhere. I knew there were black bears in Missouri and I guess I knew there were mountain lions but who knew they were within a mile?

It's pretty creepy really. Another neighbor has found two dogs that were killed and the remains of a deer with a huge cat paw print nearby. I think he is going to set out bait to photograph the animal. You can't shoot mountain lions in MO, they are protected. Our Conservation Dept has released breeding pairs in past years and I think they have collars on to monitor them. I know they mostly eat deer but I seem to be creeped out now going outside after dark, not knowing what is lurking out there.

We have a miniature beagle but she is a tough little thing and I don't worry too much about her. She chases away even large dogs and coyotes- she got plenty of experience at our last farm. She is a cow girl so to speak. During the day, she hangs out with the cows across the road. When there are calves, she breaks them in with play! She probably thinks she's a short cow. She even cuddles and naps with them on occasion. Hopefully the big cat won't mess with her or the calves.
There is one calf over there right now that's black and white. It looks like a goat from a distance but I saw it in the road last week and it's definitely a calf! Those calves like to sneak under fencing for the better grass near the road.

On a lighter note, I am all decorated for Christmas. I have a few sewing needs this week to finish before we have lots of company for Christmas. My husband has a
really old favorite rocking chair. You know, the kind you keep in the basement and normally don't let people see. Well, he decided he wanted to plant it in the guest room so he can read in there at night. I found some great fabric that matches my curtains in there and I'm going to cover the cushions. I doubt he'll even notice but I will! Isn't it pretty?

We've been busy redoing the bathroom fixtures and painting. New faucets, lights, towel racks, it really looks pretty good. Next year I hope to change out the sinks. It's too close to the holiday for that much of a mess for me. It can wait for now.

1 comment:

  1. I'd be creeped out too knowing there are "big cats" around. My mom in OH says there are some cougars or something similar near them now too. I never remembered anything like that when I was growing up there.

    We now live near alligators and I even saw some armadillos in my yard. You should have seen me try to chase one out of the yard when he started digging too close to the house.

    Your fabric for the chair is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete