Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Countdown to Fall

I don't know where my time goes but here it is another week. I blinked and lost an entire weekend again. Fall will be here before I know it. This past week I was blessed with 10 ziploc bags of blackberries from a neighbor. My husband is picking up 5 bushels of peaches from my Amish friend Anna on Wednesday. Some for us, some for friends. No ripe tomatoes on our vines yet but they're growing. The second corn patch has been planted. Summer is moving along. I am still playing with applique but have nothing worthy of a photograph yet. I do have 2 new ceiling fans in my office and studio thanks to my husband. It's hot flash season - again. ~sigh~





We had a small coyote pup in our garage yesterday, it was only about 12" long. Our miniature beagle had alerted us and cornered it. We had to tie up the dog and whoosh it out. It is strange to have one so close to the the house, especially in the garage. He was very happy to show us his teeth and let us know to stand back. Awww, life in the country. Last week it was a dead possum on the driveway (thanks to my beagle finding it as road kill and wanting to share the joy with us).

We had a great bar-b-q last night with friends and they read the Declaration of Independence.
I looked it up tonight and found this on the original signers. It's pretty sad at what they gave up for freedom. Here's the article if you want to read the whole thing. http://usff.com/usff/sacredhonor.html



Of those 56 who signed the Declaration of Independence, nine died of wounds or hardships during the war. Five were captured and imprisoned, in each case with brutal treatment. Several lost wives, sons or entire families. One lost his 13 children. Two wives were brutally treated. All were at one time or another the victims of manhunts and driven from their homes. Twelve signers had their homes completely burned. Seventeen lost everything they owned. Yet not one defected or went back on his pledged word. Their honor, and the nation they sacrificed so much to create, is still intact.






God Bless America. I hope you had a wonderful Independence Day.

1 comment:

  1. I have been working on my Family Tree. Every time i see that someone came to this country . . . which all of mine did, since I have yet to find any Native Americans, I am in awe that they could leave everything and come here . . . specially the ones who came inn the early 1700's or 1600's.

    I am glad they came here, and how brave they all were.

    ReplyDelete